I love simple.
Simple, simple, simple.
The older I get, the busier I get, the more minimal I become with every aspect of life.
A conversation this morning with another PTO mom literally went like this
Look up “minimalist teacher appreciation week” on Pinterest. Don’t overcomplicate it!
Would anything pop up in the search results? Probably not, but that conversation just gives you an idea of how important it is for me to keep things simple.
Life is complicated enough, why overcomplicate it?
I mean, right?
So here’s what I’m going to give you today. This ridiculously easy, right-up-my-ally health hack. I kid you not I have been meaning to share this for moooonths! Every time I would go to write it I just felt like it was too easy and not worth writing a whole blog post about it.
And then it hit me! These are the things that you come to this blog for! You want to simplify your life. You want to get in efficient little hacks anywhere you can — things that improve your health, free up your time, and keep your home in order, right?
BOOM! Here’s a quick, easy, beneficial health hack for you: Lemon Ice Cubes.
Super simple, yea?
Do I need to tell you the benefits of lemons? In case you need a refresher, I’ll share just a few:
- Lemons are alkalizing for the body – I feel like I have to mention this one because so many health and life gurus mention the importance of keeping your body alkalized (Tony Robbins anyone?) It’s a must!
- High in Vitamin C – I could say so much about this. When you are stressed, vitamin C is the first to leave your body! Hence why most people get sick during the most stressful periods of their lives. Major tests, weddings, deadlines at work … Lemons help to boost the immune system and keep the yuckies away (uhh, can you tell I’m a mom?)
- Contain anti-cancer compounds – lemon helps to stop division in cancer cells and it has been shown to halt or slow down the growth of cancer tumors in animals.
- Rids of bad breath – Because really, who wants that?
- Clears the skin – pimples and blemishes, be gone! Decrease wrinkles? Uh, yes please!
I’ve shared my lemon waters on snapchat (@TaraCreel) so many times at this point it feels over done, but here’s what I do –>
Once a week I juice a few lemons and pour the juice into ice trays, placing them in the freezer to freeze.
Every day I add them to my water and wah-lah, a subtle, fresh beverage in the morning to kickstart my body!
Occasionally I will add cayenne pepper, mint leaves, apple cider vinegar, and grapefruit. Okay, not occasionally, that’s pretty much a daily occurrence. Oh, and chia seeds because I’m a psychopath.
I prefer to eat my calories so, ya know. I avoid all the sugary juices and alcoholic beverages and go straight towards the drink that benefits my mind, body, and soul! Btw’s, I have an alternative to sugary cocktails . . I’ll share that soon!
P.s. I’ve also been known to fill up one of those cute glass jars and drink that water throughout the day. For my daughter’s 7th birthday party I froze fake florals in lemon ice cubes and they were a hit.
P.s.s. Too much lemon breaks down the enamel of your teeth so drinking with a straw will help push it to the back of your mouth, doing less damage to the teeth. I recommend bypassing the plastic straws and purchasing a stainless steel one like this one here.
Anyways, there you have it. One super simple way to add a healthy habit into your day without inconveniecing your life. Now go do what you really wanna do girl!
x’s and o’s, t